Barna Group, Nashville
AT BARNA GROUP, WE HELP CHRISTIAN LEADERS UNDERSTAND THE TIMES AND KNOW WHAT TO DO
Barna Group serves non-profit organizations and ministries, providing them with essential intelligence and an understanding of the intersection of faith and culture to help them more effectively interact with their constituents—whether the Church, potential or current supporters or society at large.
Our goal is to help others see the whole from our research—to understand the times and know what to do. Through various media, whether an internally focused strategic report or publicly released article, monograph or video, we work to tell the story behind our research and data using clear narrative and compelling visuals.
Barna Group is seeking a full-time managing editor. Ideally, this position will be based out of Nashville.
If this is a vision you are inspired by, we would love to consider you for our team!
This full-time staff position reports directly to VP, Editorial. Preferably, this role is based in Nashville, though employment in our Atlanta office or remote employment could be considered for the right candidate. This position manages the development of monographs and other Barna resources and publications, in print and online. This is a highly collaborative, highly creative role with a focus on data storytelling and helping church leaders and readers navigate change.
PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
- Collaborate with VP, Editorial, the research team and clients to develop hypotheses and frameworks and to shape Barna’s editorial vision for new projects and questionnaires
- With support from the research team, identify key stories and narratives from the data and subsequently develop editorial outlines for reporting
- Working with analysis and materials provided by the research team, write and edit manuscripts with compelling, clean copy and strong, well-sourced reporting (including basic data visualization)
- Manage a stable of freelance writers as needed by providing data, deadlines and direction and editing their contributions
- Work with research and design to provide direction and / or art notes for infographics
- Identify and coordinate with outside contributors for Q&A and columns
- Coordinate with the Production Manager to provide edits and feedback during the design phase
- Speak into titling options and themes for cover design
- Maintain deadlines and ensure smooth handoffs and good communication across departments and with clients and contributors
- Work with the Associate Editor, the marketing team and / or the church engagement team to provide excerpts, adaptations or storylines for digital content and promotional materials related to the report
- Act as a guardian of “Barna voice,” helping other teammates and contributors produce actionable, engaging and accurate data-driven content
- Serve as a developmental editor for Barna fellows, partners and contributors who are writing and speaking about Barna research
- Attend and occasionally travel for meetings with clients to present updates from the editorial team
- As needed, collaborate with members of senior leadership to write or review manuscripts and articles
- As needed, present or comment on research findings in church engagement programs or in interviews with press and outside content creators
THE OPTIMAL CANDIDATE HAS
- 5+ years of editorial experience
- a degree in English, journalism, communications or related field
- experience in data journalism and a desire to turn research into action
- a strong familiarity with the religious landscape of the United States, particularly Christian and evangelical trends, as well as the Church market
- an eye for a good headline or story and awareness of both current events and trends in publishing
- some understanding of and familiarity with social research and statistics and an ability to be a data discerning content producer
- excellent judgment and high capacity to make decisions
- confidence in representing Barna externally and with clients
- a mind for details, but an orientation toward the big picture
- superb time management and ability to juggle multiple projects
- excellent verbal and written communication to proactively communicate and connect with remote team members, partners and clients across multiple time zones
- a willingness to work independently and with a team
- genuine passion for Barna’s mission
Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Slack, Asana, Google Drive, ShareFile, Adobe (Acrobat, InDesign / InCopy collaboration)
- VP, Editorial
- Project Manager
- Associate Editor
- Director of Research Services
- Production Manager
- VP, Church Engagement
- Clients on assigned projects
- Outside contractors on project work
BARNA’S CORE VALUES
We take time to pray. We understand that everything we do at Barna is for the glory of God so we seek his will for every next step, every client, project, idea and co-worker. We regularly dedicate our work to him and celebrate the ways God is using it.
We engage head, heart and hands. We strive to take our research-based work beyond mere data to make it emotionally compelling and imminently applicable. In so doing, we desire to lead our clients, our readers and the Church to essential actions; and to new ways of thinking about and doing their work
We do awesome work. From conception to delivery, from timeliness to quality, we go above and beyond to delight the customer and to wow the end users. We anticipate that our work will make a true impact and if it doesn’t, we haven’t done our jobs well.
We see the whole. Our work is not done in a vacuum. We desire to facilitate transformative change in our clients and the Church. This requires an understanding of the client’s goals, the historical and cultural context of the problem, and the motivations and obstacles to change.
We create what’s next. We are a forward-thinking and innovative company. We are constantly re-assessing what is needed in the market, in order to design and develop effective tools to meet the unique and ever-changing needs of our clients and the Church.
We appreciate and love one another. Ministry proceeds from relationships—both inside and outside the company. We see our clients and our co-workers as individuals beloved by God. We celebrate people’s work, we sharpen and spur one another on to greater success, we give the benefit of the doubt, we rejoice and mourn together as a family.
Compensation based on skill level / experience and anticipated contribution to the business.
Barna also offers competitive benefits, including full healthcare premium coverage, 10 holidays per year in addition to two weeks of vacation and a 401k investment plan.
Applications must include a brief introductory email, your resume and 2–3 writing / editing samples. We’re looking for: evidence of your ability to cover topics at the intersection of faith and culture; examples and details of pieces that show your strength as an editor; and / or incorporation of research and data into your writing. Links to personal websites and portfolios are welcome.